Saturday, August 18, 2012

A Set & Yardage for a Sampler

SylvieD is using this set for her blocks.


I'm planning 49 blocks for the Grandmother's Choice sampler.
If you are thinking about yardage for sashing and borders how about this sampler set for 49 blocks?
2" Finished sashing strips and corner stones
6" Finished mitered borders
84" x 84"

I drew this up in Electric Quilt and then I used the yardage calculator to figure out the yardage for the sashing and border.

Here's what it says---and I added my own words too above.
A 7 x 7 layout of 49 blocks finishing to 8"

Sashing
You need 64 cornerstones cut 2-1/2" square =  3/8 yard
112 sashing strips cut 2-1/2" x 8" = 2 yards (THAT'S 8-1/2"---THANK YOU MARCI!)

Border
1-3/4 yards (if they are pieced selvage to selvage) for the border.

If you use long strips parallel to the selvage: 2-1/2 yards. Cut 4 strips 6-1/2" x 84-1/2" and miter them.


Blocks
For 49 different 8" blocks 5 yards in all should be enough.


1 yard each of the following 5 values:
  • Really dark
  • Medium dark
  • Medium
  • Medium light
  • Really light.
And within those five categories you could substitute 4 quarter yards for each shade --- so up to 20 pieces in all.
If you were going to do a 2-color quilt, say red and white:
3 yards of each of the two colors should be plenty for the blocks.

Binding
Buy a yard and precut what you need. Use the rest for one of your block fabrics.

Backing:
Buy 6 yards of backing fabric and piece it. You can also use extra wide backing fabric. My Moda collection Metropolitan Fair has a backing fabric that is 108" wide. The Oyster Shell Gray might be good. Look for it in October. (#11076-18)



15 comments:

  1. *whew* ...I guesstimated and got 2 yds for both the sashing and the border! Yea, me!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you've made a quilt or two you can guestimate pretty close. And it never hurts to buy more (says the woman who sells fabric.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pouvez vous me dire ou je peux acheter la collection "Metropolitan fair" s'il vous plait.

    Can you tell me where I can buy the collection "Metropolitan fair" please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many online stores that will ship to France---but yardage won't be available until October.

      Delete
  4. This theme is such a good idea Barbara! I have just posted about it on my French blog : http://quilteuseforever.wordpress.com/2012/08/19/encore-une-bonne-idee-de-barbara-brackman/
    I am longing for this September 1st!
    Amicalement,
    Katell, France

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always buy way more fabric for my borders and sashing (you never know when you will need it)

    I too have been playing around with my EQ and trying out a couple of different layouts for my sampler, getting very excited now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am excited to do another BOW with Barbara - and I will have a surprise, something all quilters will be able to use) on the 1st of September, hopefully! Be watching for a post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the yardage requirements ahead of time! I like to mull over my fabric choices for a long time before making a final decision! Thanks for holding this next BOW. I missed out on the Civil War one. I went back and read all the posts and made a several blocks for a swap my group is holding, but I can't wait to start at the beginning this time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so tempted to do this quilt, but I have so many UFOs now. I know I will follow along, probably getting drawn in to doing this quilt.
    This is picky, and people will probably notice -- the directions say the sashing should be cut 2-1/2 by 8 --- shouldn't it say 2-1/2 x 8-1/2? (I was a proofreader in a former life).
    Marci

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Marci. The world needs more free lance proofreaders who catch all the errors. See above. I fixed it.
    And you ought to start it. You'll have fun and who told you you had to finish those UFO's anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this precision. Now, we wait the depart for start adventure. Céline

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this wonderful idea. I'm not sure I can keep up with the blocks but will certainly give it a try. Your article really made me stop and think about how it must have been for my grandmothers. I do have to admit I am very proud to be working in Wyoming - one of the fist states to give women the vote.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful idea! I have plenty of fabric to give this a try. Judith, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing. I just began with quilting. I will certainly try. Hope you will have a fine day.
    Frederika

    ReplyDelete